The Many Benefits of Online Therapy
Every day is getting more and more overwhelming as the COVID-19 pandemic is taking over our lives. Many people are sick and dying. People are losing their jobs. Schools are closed. Social distancing is required. And don’t forget there is no toilet paper.
This time brings fear and uncertainty and for some a heightened sense of anxiety, depression, loneliness, and stress. You may be wondering: I need to talk to someone, but I can’t leave my house. How do I get help? Online counseling (telehealth) is the answer.
What is Online Therapy, Online Counseling or Telehealth? It's an amazing resource that allows therapists to provide therapy through a live, secure video connection via the internet, on your computer, or phone in the comfort of your own home.
If you have ever used Skype on your computer or FaceTime on your phone, then you have used the same type of technology that Telehealth uses. Online Therapy combines telecommunication technology to deliver professional and confidential services for client convenience. It is virtually a safe place through a screen.
All Online Therapy technology is HIPAA compliant, which means that the client’s privacy is protected and counseling sessions are confidential. Other types of Online counseling could be email, phone and text, which all should be encrypted by a HIPAA compliant platform.
What are the benefits of Online Therapy aka Telehealth ?
● You can conveniently attend a counseling session in the comfort of your own home. This means no driving to and from an office; less wear and tear on your car; and no alternative transportation needed.
● It reduces the overall cost and time of therapy.
● You have the ability to expand your choice of service provider.
● Online therapists tend to have more availability, therefore this reduces the
wait time for scheduling an appointment.
● Because of Social Distancing, Online Counseling provides the safe distance required for these unprecedented times without leaving you feeling isolated and disconnected.
What are the limitations of Online Counseling aka Telehelath?
● There may be a time when technology might fail before or during the counseling session.
● The therapist can not fully see you, your body language, or your non-verbals during the session. Therefore, the therapist may ask you more descriptive questions and ask you to describe feelings, thoughts, and actions more in detail.
● A confidentiality breach could happen for various reasons, which is why we suggest using headphones and being in a quiet environment.
● Technology may limit the therapist’s ability to hear and understand all of what you are saying. Therefore, the therapist may ask for you to repeat something or ask more clarifying questions.
In closing, everyone is vulnerable to contracting COVID-19 aka the Coronavirus. It does not discriminate. No population is immune to it.
It is important to recognize we are in this crisis together and you are not alone. For the time being, Online Therapy is a wonderful solution for your therapy needs.
Our office is open for Online Counseling via computer or phone, so call Kacee Tannenbaum, LCSW located within the offices of Bayview Therapy at 954.391.5305 to set up a session. Talk to you soon!